6-3-5 Team Brainstorming
- You determine the specific topic and inform the participants about it.
- Each participant writes down 3 ideas. Up to 6 people / groups use their own template.
- The moderator specifies a specific time after which each participant/group changes the template and adds 3 more ideas.
- This procedure (steps 2 and 3) is now repeated up to 5 times, so that each participant has added their ideas to all templates.
- The most suitable entries are selected for further processing.
Description of the 6-3-5 team brainstorming method
In 6-3-5 team brainstorming, a large number of ideas are developed by different participants / experts in several rounds. The name 6-3-5 Team Brainstorming stands for the procedure: up to 6 participants each provide 3 suggestions, which are repeated in 5 iterations.
This method was developed by Bernd Rohrbach.
Method for developing creative solutions in a team.
Who benefits from this method?
- The moderator sets a time limit for collecting ideas.
- Suitable time windows are: 3 to 5 minutes as part of an online session or half a day or until the end of the working day with parallel elaboration.
Limits of Application
The 6-3-5 method leads to a variety of ideas. Prioritization and selection is therefore absolutely necessary. It’s also important to set a time limit, whether it’s an online session or anytime, anywhere elaboration.