Procedure for developing a sales strategy
- Analysis – where do we stand? You start with an analysis of the initial situation. The first thing to do is to deal with current and potential customer groups. The effects on the products and services on the one hand and the company on the other are then evaluated.
- Target Setting – Where do we want to go? You develop the strategic sales goals.
- Strategic Objectives – What do we have to achieve? You determine the operational goals, which are derived from the strategic sales goals.
- Strategic Planning – What measures do we derive? Based on the operational goals, concrete measures are determined for the individual customer groups.
- Results – You receive an automatically generated summary of the results in the form of a management report.
After strategy development, you control and monitor implementation. We recommend reviewing the strategy once a year and adapting it to changes.
Description of the ConWISE approach to developing a sales strategy
This approach to creating a sales strategy starts with the requirements of your customers and not what your company can do today. First, determine the strategic customer groups based on future demand. You then deal with the effects on your current products and services. Only then do you address the changes that are required for your company. The sales strategy is completed with the value proposition, the goals and the respective measures for each strategic customer group.
This template for developing a sales strategy is a central instrument of strategic management.
Who benefits from the ConWISE method for developing a sales strategy?
- Sales and Sales Manager
- Use the creativity methods of the ConWISE platform.
- Invite other people outside of your core team to individual drafts. In this way, the actual strategy development remains within your team, but you benefit from additional hints and information from third parties.
- Use management methods such as “ Six Thinking Hats ”. In doing so, you will go into different perspectives regarding the sales strategy.
- Management representatives should be regularly informed about the work.
- Think early on how you can communicate the results in your organization.
- Make sure senior management shares and supports the results.
Limits of Application
No approach can guarantee that you will develop a successful sales strategy. And even with the right strategy, sales success naturally depends on many other factors. But guided by good questions and examples that the ConWISE platform gives you, you can avoid mistakes and achieve promising results in a short time.